Monday, April 25, 2011

Flourless Chocolate Cake


About a week before the cook out I found out that there were some people observing some religious holidays; Lent and Passover, and that they had some food restrictions. I didn't want anyone to offend anyone and I wanted to make sure they had food options, so I went on the internet to find out a bit more about these customs. One of the things I learned was that dessert could be hard for those observing Passover because they couldn’t have grains. So after googling many dessert recipes I found a Flourless Chocolate Cake on allrecipes.com that sounded delicious. I was a little scared to make this dessert since I had never tasted it nor made it before. But the risk paid off, they were fantastic! They tasted like dark chocolate fudge. I baked them in mini cupcake wrappers, so they were bit size yummy goodness! I will definitely make this again! They only problem was…I didn’t make enough!
I topped half of the cakes with some of Donea's Caramel Butter Cream Icing and the other half I left plain. Everyone loved them. I received tons of compliments and the people that were observing Passover, thanked me personally for thinking of them.
Here is the recipe I got from allrecipes.com with the changes I made.

Flourless Chocolate Cake
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
6 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup unsalted butter
6 eggs

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
Either in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave oven melt the bittersweet chocolate and chocolate chips. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time.
Scope the batter into the cupcake wrappers. Have a large casserole pan Filled about half way with water on a lower rack.
Bake cupcakes above the water bath at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 17minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment