Sunday, April 10, 2011

Here we go round the mulberry bush…


My favorite tree or plant is usually whatever is blooming or fruiting.
So right now, one of my favorite trees is my “Tice” Mulberry tree. One of the things I love of about that tree is that my kids and all their friends love to go pick fresh berries and eat them straight from the tree. How cool is that. No worries about pesticides, the only thing they have to worry about is someone picking the berries before they can get them or not being tall enough to get that perfect berry. I love that my kids know that we can grow some of our own fruit, not just buy them from the grocery store.


I know many of you are wondering, what is a Mulberry? Well, it looks like a black berry, and it taste yummy. It has its own flavor but it reminds me a lot of grapes. And to tempt you even more, it’s good for you. Mulberries are high in antioxidants. They are also high in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Iron, Fiber, Riboflavin, Magnesium and Potassium.
I purchased my tree about 5 years ago, and every spring I would get some berries, but never enough to make anything. This year is different. Even with my kids, all their friend’s, some squirrels, and the birds snacking on the tree, I still have enough to try and make something. I decided I would try and make some Mulberry jam. I will let you know how it turns out. My kids really wanted me to make Mulberry Pie, so who knows? Maybe I will enough to try both!

No comments:

Post a Comment