Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Syrup

Besides the usual jam making , this year I decided to try something a little different with my strawberries. I made Strawberry Syrup and boy was it a hit with my kids! Who needs maple syrup when you can have homemade Strawberry Syrup! So far we have put syrup on pancakes, waffles and ice cream, I have also seen someone who will remain anonymous eat it plain. Can you imagine it on cheesecake, or crepes, or how about some homemade banana pancakes, you could even drizzle some on your dessert plate to fancy things up. Oh, I am making myself hungry.

The recipe I used come from Ball. I decided to make my syrup seedless and chunk free. But you can make yours how ever you like. That's the beauty of making it yourself.

5 cups crushed strawberries
11/2 cups water (divided)
1 strip of lemon peel
11/2 cups sugar
11/2 cups corn syrup
1 tbsp lemon juice

Combine strawberries, half of the water, and lemon peel. Heat to boiling and boil for 5 minutes.

Pour into a jelly strainer(I used cheese cloth) and let drip for 2 hours.

Combine the sugar and the remaining water and cook to 230°F. Add the strawberry juice and the corn syrup. Bring to boiling and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Fill hot jars leaving 1/4 inch space. Add lids and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.


Pictures to will be posted later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment