Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chunky Apple Cake


My mother recently saw a yummy picture of the Southern Living Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and asked me to make it for a recent get together. I was happy to make the cake since I am always looking for new things to try and bake. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of an apple cake. It didn't sound very appealing but, I would never turn down a request, especially since my mother was the one requesting it.
The good news is it turned out delicious. It reminded me ALOT of a carrot cake and I love carrot cake! The bad news is my mother didn't get any. I show up to her house with cake in hand and she says to me "I don't know what I was thinking asking you to bake that cake. I am on a diet and can't have any". WHAT?! So my mother tortured herself all night asking everyone how the cake was. But I am very proud of my mom for sticking to her diet. By the way, she has already lost 19lbs. Go Mom!!!!
I did promise her a would bake her another apple cake anytime she wants, as long as she is off her diet. Ha ha!

Southern Living Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced( I used Gala because it was what I had at home)
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)

Preparation
Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apple slices and 1 cup walnuts. Batter will be very thick. Spread into a greased 13- x 9-inch pan.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8oz) package of cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat the cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar until blended. Stir in vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment