Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Homemade Salsa








I am a little late making salsa this year, but better late than never, right?
The down side to waiting so late in the year is that the tomatoes are a bit smaller. But that's OK they still make fantastic salsa!
The salsa recipe I use was given to me by my friend Andrea. My family LOVES this salsa!!! I did make a few changes to please my family . We like a little kick to our salsa, so instead of 2 jalapenos, I use 4 jalapenos. This makes it more of a medium spice. The original recipe is mild, but still yummy. My hubby likes it even hotter so I try to make at least 1 batch with 6-8 jalapenos. I also add cilantro to my salsa whenever I remember to buy it. I love cilantro!

Can you guess how many jars of salsa I made last year?
4o, and it wasn't enough. It only last us about 6 months. We gave away MANY jars of salsa to family and friends. Of course my family might have eaten a FEW jars ;-) It think this year I will have to make more, or maybe I just won't share....just kidding.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as my family does! Let me know how it turns out.
I know some of you out there bought alot of tomatoes from my boys with the intent of making salsa. So if you need any help, PLEASE let me know I would LOVE to help!!!

Salsa
8 quarts (32 cups) tomatoes
5 onions
5 green peppers
10 Anaheim peppers (you can also use cubanelle peppers)
2 jalapeno peppers (I use more)
½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp pepper
8 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
6 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp oregano leaves
2 Tbsp cumin
2 ½ Tbsp salt
6 Tbsp olive oil

Chop all ingredients. Combine and bring to a boil and then simmer5 for 2 hours. Bottle and seal in jars, processing pint jars for 25 minutes and quart jars for 35 minutes. Makes 20 pint or 9 quarts.

Tips- I use a food processor for all my peppers and my onions. . But be careful not to puree the veggies, you want pieces, not pulp. I also strain all my veggies after I cut them or put them in the food processor, that way my salsa is not runny. This is not a necessary step, I just prefer it this way.



Good Luck!!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this salsa, specially the Worcestershire in it gives it that umami! SOOO good!

    ReplyDelete